Monday, June 1, 2009

Life Journal 06-01-2009

The Only Good Debt

(S) Scripture
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul is reminding the Roman Christians that we have an obligation to love the people around us. Financial debt needs to be taken care of but the debt of loving people for Jesus' sake remains constant.

(A) Application
We live in a debt strapped society. Many people are drowning in debt and never seem to get ahead. Paul tells us to clear up our debts because they do paralyze us and keep us from doing all that God wants for us to do. When we are in debt we are slaves to the lender and therefore cannot be fully committed to following Jesus. The only debt we are to carry with us is the debt to love our neighbors. That is where we make the greatest impact for the gospel is when we love others with the love of God. When we live like that we are fulfilling the law that God gave and we are living out our faith in ways that please God. Today I want to live like that. I want my life to be characterized by the love of God. I would hope that when people remember me it would be because I loved them with God's love.

(P) Prayer
Lord make me aware of the opportunities I have to love others with your love. Let me never withhold your love because of some prejudice of mine. Lead me into loving others the way you would. Amen

No comments: