Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life Journal 06-24-2009

Contentment

(S) Scripture
6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 1 Timothy 6:6-9

(O) Observation
In his instructions to Timothy, Paul warns him about the trap of discontentment and the pursuit of riches. Timothy was to be godly and content with whatever he had. Being content allows you to focus on the Lord and His work in and through you.

(A) Application
Being content is not the opposite of ambition. To want to be and do better is not what Paul is warning about. I want to strive to be a better man, husband, father, grandfather and pastor. I want to strive for excellence in each of these and that is not what Paul is warning about. Proverbs 27:20 says, "The eyes of man are never satisfied." It is the always wanting more that Paul warns about. If I am not content with what the Lord has provided for me how can I ever expect others to trust in God's provision in their lives. Today, Lord, let me strive for excellence and to demonstrate to others that I have everything I need in Jesus.

(P) Prayer
Father, it is easy to focus on what I do not have or on my wants rather than on what I have in You. Today let me focus on You and let me rejoice in Your provision in my life. Amen

No comments: