Sunday, June 28, 2009

Life Journal 06-28-2009

A Pointed Reminder

(S) Scripture
Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.
2 Timothy 4:2-5 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul continues his charge to Timothy and the ministry he will carry out in Ephesus. Paul has just reminded Timothy of the authority of the scripture, now he tells him to "preach the word" whenever and wherever he finds himself. People may complain and want something different but he is to preach the word. In the face of opposition he is to keep his head also and continue to do what he is to do as pastor of this church.

(A) Application
"Preach the Word." That is such a simple command and yet I find that many want something different. Feel good sermons or sermons on "felt needs" may draw a crowd but if they are not rooted and grounded in the Word they really accomplish nothing. I am to "preach the Word" nothing else has power or the ability to change lives. IT is the word that is powerful. Why am I tempted to do something else. To preach the Word takes time and effort to study what it says and what it means and then how best to communicate it. I have always considered my messages to be rooted in the Word and want to continue that. I do not think that this prescribes a verse by verse preaching style but I do think that it means we stick to the text of the Bible. Today I renew my commitment to "preach the Word."

(P) Prayer
Lord, it is easy to get side tracked and speak about so many things that have nothing to do with your Word. It is easy to twist your Word for my purposes and not necessarily yours. Keep me from doing violence to your word by preaching something that is not true or not meant in the passage. Let me proclaim your Word every time I preach. Use me today to "preach the Word." Amen

No comments: