Monday, June 22, 2009

Life Journal 06-22-2009

Spiritual Fitness

(S) Scripture
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:8 (NIV)

(O) Observation
This comes in some instructions Paul was giving Timothy about what he should be emphasizing in his life and ministry. He is not diminishing physical fitness but is elevating spiritual fitness.

(A) Application
I have always struggled with physical fitness. It takes time, commitment and work. I go to the gym and exercise and yet it seems that many times I let other things crowd out the time I set aside for exercise. The same thing can happen spiritually. That is why this time each day is so important to me. I want my life to be characterized by godliness. That takes time, commitment and effort. It does not come naturally; it must be developed and that only comes through spiritual exercise. Today I renew my commitment to both spiritual and physical exercise. Paraphrasing the words of my best friend, "I want to be the fittest fat guy in Mid-Michigan." I desire more to be Godly.

(P) Prayer
Lord, today I commit to spiritual and physical exercise. Give me the strength to follow through. Amen

No comments: