Thursday, June 4, 2009

Life Journal 06-04-2009

Integrity with the Word

(S) Scripture
I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.
For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.
Romans 16:17-18 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul reminds these believers in Rome to watch out for those who misuse and misunderstand and falsely teach the Word of God. Some distort the Word for their own gain and therefore lead many astray. We are to avoid these people.

(A) Application
As I read this passage I was struck with the importance of not becoming one who distorts or uses the Word for my own gain. There are plenty of those type out there preaching a "health and wealth", or "name it claim it" gospel. They deceive many and are lining their pockets with money. The gospel they preach plays into our sinful selfish natures. For those of us who are true to the Word this is tough to overcome because people like something that is focused on their gain. Today I renew my commitment to be true to the Word as best as I am able. I also ask the Lord to make me aware of when I am misreading, misunderstanding or distorting His Word so that I can be corrected.

(P) Prayer
Lord, help me to stay true to Your Word and to teach the truth. Amen

No comments: