Sunday, June 21, 2009

Life Journal 06-21-2009

Good Advice For A Father

(S) Scripture
O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you."
2 Chronicles 20:12 (NIV)

(O) Observation
In the face of an approaching army that outnumbers their own army Jehoshaphat begins to pray for deliverance. This verse is at the end of the prayer. "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." The only place to turn was to the Lord. That was good for him and the nation and is great advice for us today.

(A) Application
Today is Father's Day. I am reminded of what a daunting task it is to be a good father. The world in which we live seems to be attacking from all sides the idea of family and especially fatherhood. Many give up and cut and run leaving child rearing to the mothers. It is not easy and the task is hard and yet in this verse we have the most practical advice I could ever give or receive. "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." That is the key to being a good father. Keep your eyes on the Lord. He will provide and show the way to be and do what He wants. I am reminded of another verse, in 2 Chronicles 16:9 are these words "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His…" When our eyes are on the Lord and our hearts are completely His, we can be sure His eyes are on us and His support, guidance, direction and will is ours. That is the way I want to live.

(P) Prayer
Lord, today I will keep my eyes on You. Help me to be the father and grandfather you want me to be. Thank you for my children. I am so blessed because they are walking with you. Help me to continue to be an example for them. Amen

No comments: