Thursday, June 25, 2009

Life Journal 06-25-2009

No Fear

(S) Scripture
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul encourages Timothy to be faithful in the calling he has received. Paul encourages him to develop the gift God gave him. He then reminds Timothy not to be timid because God did not give us a spirit of timidity but one of power, love and self-discipline or as the KJV translates it, "a sound mind."

(A) Application
I am nearing my 61st birthday. I am not a young pastor any longer and yet these words are fresh for me today. It does not matter how old or how long I have been a pastor I still need to develop the gifts God has given me. I need to live out His calling in my life every day. I need not be afraid. In these days of economic turmoil it is easy to fret over the future and what might happen. And then I hear again Paul's words to a young pastor that must be true for me today, For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV) Today I will work on my gifts, and trust the Holy Spirit to let me experience God's power, love and give me the benefit of a sound mind.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I want to trust you each day. Remind me of the spirit you have given me, that of power, love and a sound mind. Today I will live by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit that resides in me. Amen

 

No comments: