Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Life Journal 06-16-2009

Hearing God

(S) Scripture
The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:11-13

(O) Observation
elijah has just come off a great victory at Mt. Carmel and yet when challenged by Jezebel he flees in fear. The Lord appears o him but first there is a great winf, earthquake and fire but God was not in any of those.

(A) Application
I often look for God in the spectacular. I expect to hear the deep booming voice of God and yet most often it is in the common and quiet that He speaks. It is not that He cannot use the spectacular but most often He speaks when I am quiet enough to hear. That is why this quiet time with the Lord is so important to me each day. My life is diminished when I neglect my time alone with the Lord. Today I want to slow down and be still so that I can hear what He is speaking to me.

(P) Prayer
Lord, help me to listen for the gentle whisper of your voice so that I can follow you completely. Thank you for giving me the time to spend with you each day. Amen

No comments: