Thursday, October 16, 2008

40 Days of Love - Day 11

Feelings are Important

Jesus expressed his emotions and controlled his feelings. He was never controlled by either but always expressed them appropriately. As I read today's devotion I wondered if there is a difference between feelings and emotions. The author seems to equate them but I think they are somewhat different. I think that emotions are deep seated and feelings are more from the surface. My feelings get hurt but my emotion is anger or rage. My feelings are elated but my emotion is happiness. I need to let the Lord help me control both. I cannot deny either and must deal with them both. I must allow the Holy Spirit to empower me to give proper expression to my emotions without losing control of my feelings.
I agree with the author that we are too often led by our feelings and that takes us places we don't want to be. A couple of days ago I shared the train illustration and the relationship between the truth and feelings. Feelings naturally follow the truth of God and His Word but when we try to lead with our feelings the train goes nowhere and we get a dirty caboose.
Our feelings are easily fooled so we must give them to Jesus so that we continue to love as He would and not out of selfish desires.
I thank God for my feelings and emotions. Life would be pretty dull without them. Apart from His control though they can lead to real trouble.
Lord, take my feelings and emotions and shape them and help me express them in ways that are real and bring honor to you. Amen

What are your thoughts?

No comments: