Saturday, October 11, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 5

Love God with all your Mind and Strength

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

Loving God with your mind obviously involves your thinking. The author encourages us to use the above verse as a guide for our thinking. That certainly is a challenge because so much of what surrounds us is the opposite of this verse. How then do we train our mind to think in ways that honor God?

Dr. Earl Radmacher gave a series of lectures he titled, "Right Thinking." The premise was that as we spend time with God and memorize the Scripture that then forms a filter over our minds. Then everything that comes through our eye and ear gates is filtered and also everything that comes from our minds. To have God's word filtering our thoughts both from outside and inside us. This is something I have tried to practice and in tough situations God brings to mind scripture that fits my needs at the moment. The kicker then is sin as always becomes a choice I make rather than something I was forced or coerced to do. When I practice "Right Thinking" my relationship with God grows. I am then loving God with my mind.

How do you think you "love God with your mind?

No comments: