Wednesday, October 22, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 17

The Connection Between Mouth and Heart

You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.
Matthew 12:34 (NIV)

This is one of those "in your face" teachings of Jesus. What fills my heart fills my mouth. When I listen to what I talk most about I get a clear read about what is first in my heart. Sometimes that is not a pretty or godly thing. When my heart is full of anger, my words are angry. When I am sarcastic my heart is full of sarcasm. When I am full of joy so are my words. There is that direct connection. My words reveals the content of my heart.

It is important to be aware of what is filling my heart and of the words coming out of our mouths. The author says that we should fight this battle on both fronts. We must start taking our hearts and words more seriously (pg 155). I can be so cavalier about what I say and that ignores what Jesus is teaching. If God takes my words seriously why do I think they don't matter much. After all we all say things we don't mean – people should give us a break. Problem is that Jesus does not allow that kind of attitude. We are responsible for what we say and that is directly connected to what fills our heart.

This 40 Days of Love journey is challenging me in many ways. This is one that is especially difficult. I want my words to reflect a heart that is full of love for God. I know where to start. I must begin with my heart and while focusing there I must guard what I say.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While it's certainly true that what's in the heart comes out of the mouth, isn't it also true that we can change our hearts by changing our mouths? In other words, even if I"m not feeling loving toward my spouse, if I talk in loving tones and use loving phrases, my heart may change. Sometimes our insides catch up with our outsides and not the other way around....right??????
The bud

Anonymous said...

When you refuse to be guided by your feelings but rather act the way you should and the way the Lord commands then I believe your feelings will eventually follow. In that sense your mouth leads your heart. But really by doing what you should you are addressing your heart and controlling your mouth. I would encourage you to continue to speak loving words whether you "feel" them or not. Your heart will come around and then your words won't seem so empty to you but will be filled with deep seated meaning.

Anonymous said...

BTW I really do appreciate your comments and the feedback it gives me. It is good to know that somebody is reading and willing to respond. Thanks again

Anonymous said...

You're welcome Robin. Take my word for it...I'm a good friend who appreciates the intellectual stiumulation and who respects you highly!