Wednesday, October 29, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 24

Say Yes to Integrity

I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. 1 Chronicles 29:17a (NIV)

When I think about integrity my thoughts go immediately back to my childhood hero, "the Lone Ranger". I remember Tonto, speaking about a bad guy, saying, "He speaks with forked tongue." That person will say whatever is necessary at the moment regardless of the truth. You and I know these kinds of people. We know that you cannot trust anything they say. Integrity is lost when we speak with a "forked" tongue.

Integrity is when my words, behavior and heart are in agreement. When what I think, say and do are consistent. This must be done in the context of a Biblical morality and truth. I can be consistent in lies and deception but that is not integrity because the truth is not involved.

I hear people talk about the integrity of a building. What they mean is the quality, strength, and stability of the structure. For me a person of integrity has those same characteristics in their character. When you are around a person of integrity you sense and see these in their character.

Integrity is essential to building anything of value and our relationships are things of value.

When you think of integrity – what do you think about?


 

No comments: