Sunday, October 19, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 14

Choose to Accept; Choose to Sacrifice

It (love) always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
1 Corinthians 13:7 (NIV)

This morning I was drawn by the illustration of the first century soldiers that tied their legs together so that they could not leave their partner behind to fight alone. I began to wonder who I have tied myself to. What relationships have I determined to be so important that I would tie myself to them in a way that we live and die together.

The first time I met my wife's parents was the night we told them we were getting married. They were not as thrilled as I had hoped they would be. In fact her mom leaned over to Becky and said, "Honey, if you are happy we will be happy." It wasn't happening that night though. After a night to sleep on it and another conversation her dad said, "Robin, promise me one thing, No divorces." His desire was that we would tie ourselves together and resolve not to leave but to stay and fight together. That is what we have done. We locked ourselves together and threw away the key. We are in this for better or worse. We resolved not to leave the other behind.

I am thankful for the example we each had from our parents of loving and committed relationships. All we had known was the kind of relationship where the two were tied together. Can that spill over into other important relationships? You bet it can. Do you have a best friend who sticks with you no matter what; who loves you and challenges you and holds you accountable and for whom you do the same? I hope so. I have a friend like that. We don't see each other as much as we would like, he is in WV, but we talk often and get together every chance we can.

Are you tied to someone?

Leave a comment and tell your story.

No comments: