Saturday, October 18, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 13

Choose To Fellowship; Choose To Forgive

"What do you mean when you say, I love you?" was a sobering question. Do I really love like Jesus or do I love with a selfish or self-centered motive. Id my love tainted with a "because" or "if" clause. An honest answer says I have a lot of work and maturing to do as a follower of Jesus. That is not the answer I wanted but it points me to a Savior and the direction I need to take.

I find myself falling victim to the lure of electronic fellowship (computer, cell phone, etc.) because it is quick and easy. My life is diminished when I am not spending time with others in face to face conversation and relationship building. You really cannot express love from a distance or across the electronic media. You can share feelings and it is appropriate to write and call but that is no substitute for one on one time. Becky and I were on vacation a in September and did not take a computer and used our cell phones rarely (checked in with family). It was a wonderful week and a refreshing break from the technology and pace of life technology fosters. What would happen to our relationships if instead of an instant message we sat down and talked with our friends? It just might change us.

Choosing to forgive is topic for another blog. I have discussed it before and will again. We must forgive. I was interested in the distinction the author made between forgiveness and trust.

What are you thinking and learning – leave a comment and let me know.

No comments: