Saturday, October 11, 2008

40 Days of Love – Day 6

Love Everyone as Your Neighbor

Love your neighbor as yourself. Luke 10:27 (NIV)

I was not surprised that the author used the Good Samaritan story as an illustration for this reading. What intrigued me was his thoughts on hoe we limit loving others because of our differences or fears. This really goes to our prejudices. Most of us don't want to think of ourselves as prejudiced but fact is sometimes we are. Living in Charlotte we don't see many minorities and when we do sometimes we don't respond the way we should. Is it our differences or is it our fears. That is where Jesus wants to do a real work in our lives. To give us a color-blind view of people and to let us conquer our fears. This is not to say we are to put ourselves in harm's way but so many times we just love people who are just like us. I hope that as a church we would welcome each person that comes through our doors. No one regardless of race, economic standing, lifestyle, on and on the list could go. Everyone should be loved here so that we might help them have a life changing encounter with Jesus.

Lord, forgive me when I fail to show your love for others because of my fears or differences. Give me the courage to love as you would. Amen

What do you think?

No comments: