Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Life Journal 07-08-2008 Sin Is Our Downfall

Sin Is Our Downfall

(S) Scripture
Hosea 14:1 (NIV) 1 Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God. Your sins have been your downfall!
(O) Observation
Hosea has delivered a message of judgment from God to the Israelites. He has described their sins and God's judgment on them. This verse is his cry for repentance - the way for forgiveness. "return to the Lord your God" He reminds them that they are where they are because of their sins.

(A) Application
When I feel far from God the reason is my sin. That is my downfall. When I am not succeeding in my life by God's standards it is because of my sin. Sin is my downfall and separates my fellowship with the Father. My sin becomes like a cloud that blocks my clear view of God. The solution is to "return to the Lord your God" - I do that by Spiritual Breathing (confession of sin and appropriating the power of the Holy Spirit in my life). This is a concept I learned from Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ. It is the way we can experience God's love and forgiveness on a moment by moment basis.

Today I will practice spiritual breathing and experience God's love and forgiveness anew in my life. I want to live constantly in His favor.

(P) Prayer
Lord, forgive me when I stray. Keep me from falling. Let me "return to you" and follow you alone. Amen

No comments: