Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life Journal 07-10-2008 No Shallow Sacrifices

No Shallow Sacrifices

(S) Scripture
Micah 6:6-8 (NIV) 6 With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down before the exalted God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? 7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

(O) Observation
Micah has just delivered the Lord's case against Israel. He then expresses the desire of the people to please God. they are not sure and offer some alternatives. They wonder what it will take to please God. All their thoughts seem like they want to do something and "check it off their list" so God will be pleased with them. Micah reminds them that they know what God requires and it is not shallow sacrifices but rather it is a lifestyle of faithful living that God requires.

(A) Application
I find myself at times wanting to substitute a shallow sacrifice or act of obedience for a life of faithful living. The shallow acts come on my terms but God requires faithfulness. God's requirements are much more stringent and too often I look for the easy way. God does not want my shallow sacrifices. He wants my life. Today I want to be aware when I try to substitute empty shallow sacrifices for the integrity of faithful living. Today I will focus on doing what God requires and making that the norm in my life.

(P) Prayer
Lore, I need your strength and power to faithfully follow and live for you. Teach me not to play games with you but to trust you fully. I want my life to please and glorify you. Amen

No comments: