Monday, July 28, 2008

Life Journal 07-28-2008 Enslaved

Enslaved

(S) Scripture
2 Peter 2:17-20 (NIV) 17 These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity--for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning.

(O) Observation
Peter is addressing the problem of false teachers in the church. This is a vivid description of them - "springs without water" and "mists driven by a storm" - all talk and no substance. They are empty and bankrupt of anything helpful or fulfilling for our lives in fact they are enslaved to their own desires and passions.

There is one phrase here that is true for all of us. "A man is a slave to whatever has mastered him." We are enslaved by those things that master us. Freedom from this kind of slavery only comes from knowing and following Jesus. Many are enslaved to things like drugs, alcohol, food, sex and gossip to name just a few. Our freedom comes from Jesus and nothing else can set us free. Not just free of the behavior but also free from the enslaver.

(A) Application
I have fought a weight problem all my life. As I observe people at the mall and other public places I see that we are getting heavier and heavier as a nation. We are enslaved by food. It may be that we eat in response to other issues but we sure are eating. Regardless of the reasons we eat freedom will come from a spiritual solution. If I am to continue to lose the weight I want and need to lose then I must ask the Lord to set me free from the slavery to food. I must follow Jesus more closely and allow Him to direct my life and especially what I eat.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I cannot break this slavery on my own, I need your help, power and strength. Let me eat to your glory and help me achieve the goals I have set. Amen

No comments: