Sunday, July 27, 2008

Life Journal 7-27-2008 An Instructed Tongue

An Instructed Tongue

(S) Scripture
Isaiah 50:4 (NIV) 4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

(O) Observation
The idea of an "instructed tongue" is an intriguing one. My words are given to me by God. What words are they? Words that sustain the weary. This is instruction with a purpose. It is to give encouragement and courage to the weary to continue. This "instructed tongue" though comes from listening to God. "To listen like one being taught," implies a focused attention to what the Lord is saying. I cannot be distracted by all the other voices that cry for my attention. I cannot be talking I must be listening.

(A) Application
This is an incredible statement. To think that I can have a tongue instructed by God is quite daunting. God does nothing without a purpose and the purpose of an "instructed tongue" is to sustain the weary. Sometimes I avoid those who are weary, I want to be with upbeat and positive people. It is easier to be drawn down by the weary than to pump them up. Here God does not tell me to pump up the weary but rather to give them the words that will sustain them.

Today I will look for ways to give God's encouragement to those who are weary.

(P) Prayer
Lord help me to be aware of the weary around me. Let me share with them your word that will sustain them. Let me listen to you intently and then do what you call me to do. Amen

No comments: