Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life Journal 07-22-2008

Specificity

(S) Scripture
Isaiah 37:21 (NIV) 21 Then Isaiah son of Amoz sent a message to Hezekiah: "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Because you have prayed to me concerning Sennacherib king of Assyria,

(O) Observation
When Hezekiah prayed he recounted to God all of Sennacherib's taunts and insults toward God. Sennachrib's pride was recounted in his claim to be greater and more powerful than God.

Hezekiah tells God what God already knows. God is aware and not surprised but it was important for Hezekiah to be specific in his prayer. It is to Hezekiah's specificity that God responds.

(A) Application
When I pray I must be specific about things and verbalize them to God even though He already knows everything about the situation or need. This specificity is for me not Him. It is for me to realize what I am asking of God and so I might get an honest, Godly perspective on what I am asking.

Today I will be specific in my prayer and in what I am asking God to do.

(P) Prayer
Lord help me to learn to pray specifically. Let me gain your perspective on what needs to happen. Teach me to trust you more and more. Amen

1 comment:

Dan Wilson said...

Great insight! I think the importance of the specificity is not so that we can "tattle" or tell God things he might not be aware of. The importance lies much more in the fact that when we actually articulate our burdens and requests in detail it gives the Father "space" to speak to us in those areas. You've made me think today!