Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Life Journal 07-15-2008 - God's Discipline

God's Discipline

(S) Scripture
Hebrews 12:5-6 (NIV) - And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

(O) Observation
The writer has just encouraged the people to run with perseverance the race set before them with their eyes fixed on Jesus. The problem is that we struggle against sin. In these verses he reminds us of God's faithfulness and His purpose in disciplining us. The discipline should encourage us. It may not be pleasant but it reminds us that we are his children

(A) Application
Sometimes I see God's discipline only as punishment and not for any greater purpose. I forget that it is only because I am his child that he bothers to discipline me. Rather than sulk or pout I should thank God for loving me enough not to allow me to stray without addressing it.

Today I will not sulk or pout but will look for the lesson God is teaching me in the discipline. As long as I continue to sin, seems like it is never ending, I need God's discipline. Today I will be thankful.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I thank You for loving me enough to discipline me. Please do not stop. Make the lessons clear and let me grow into the person you want me to be. Amen

No comments: