Monday, July 14, 2008

Life Journal 07-14-2008 The Hall Of Fame

The Hall Of Fame

(S) Scripture
Hebrews 11:13 (NIV) All these people were still living by faith when they died...

(O) Observation
The writer gives a brief listing of the heroes of the OT, both men and women. The common thread was that they lived by faith in the Lord God. They lived lives that made the world unworthy of them. They were Hall of Famers

(A) Application
Someone called this chapter "The Bible's Hall of Fame." Halls of Fame are reserved for the best of the best. In a recent Sports Illustrated a poll was taken asking whether Roger Clemens and Pete Rose belong in the Baseball Hall of Fame. The result was a resounding "YES". Both of these men have scandals attached to their names, one admitted (Rose's gambling) and one denied (Clemens steroid use). Their accomplishments on the field certainly qualify them but it is character issues that keep them out.

The Hall of Fame in this passage is reserved for those who lived by faith. Their lives form the time they met the God of Israel were lived by faith in Him. Some were not the type you and I might choose for a hall of Fame: Rahab was a prostitute and Moses was a murderer. They are in this list because they understood that we please God by living by faith and not by sight or duty.

As I think about this I want my name on a similar list some day. I know that it comes only when I live consistently by faith until I die. I cannot achieve it by my own efforts but I can by trusting God moment by moment and living by faith.

(P) Prayer
Lord teach me to trust you more and to walk each step by faith. Let me live like a Hall of Famer. Amen

No comments: