Thursday, July 31, 2008

Life Journal 07-31-2008 Cleaning Filthy Rags

Cleaning Filthy Rags
(S) Scripture
Isaiah 64:6 (NASB77) 6 For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
1 John 2:1-2 (NASB77) 1 My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

(O) Observation
Isaiah paints an accurate and tough picture of the people. They are unclean and their righteous acts are like filthy rags before God. This is a picture of our sinfulness and our sin nature. But John gives us hope - Jesus, who is righteous pleads with the Father on our behalf. Cleansing in our lives comes from faith in Christ (1 John 1:9). Our sins are covered by the blood of Jesus.

(A)Application
Just when, in mt arrogance, I think I have got things in order and down pat, I read this passage. My righteousness, as good as it might be, is like a filthy rag before God. Nothing I can do can ever measure up to his standard. On my own I am at best like the lepers of the New Testament crying out, "unclean, unclean" and my clothes are filthy and infected. But thanks be to God for the cleansing I have in Jesus. He has healed me and clothed me in His righteousness so that I am not left on my own.
Today I will not rely on my pride filled righteousness but rather trust in the One who makes me righteous. I will seek to do what God impresses on me. Today I will follow Jesus.

(P) Prayer
O God, forgive me when my pride gets the best of me. Teach me to trust and follow you. Remind me that the only thing that pleases you is obedience. Thank you for cleansing my sin and clothing me in Christ. Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The term for "filthy rags" in the original languages is the same term used for "dirty Kotexes". Now, I dare you to use that translation from the pulpit.
"An Old Bud"

ruzzel01 said...

Job done easily with these.

carpet cleaner phoenix

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.