Sunday, August 3, 2008

Life Journal 08-03-2008 A Probing Question

A Probing Question

(S) Scripture
John 5:6 (NIV) 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, "Do you want to get well?"

(O) Observation
For many it is easier to be sick and blame you lot in life on the sickness than to get well and take responsibility for themselves. Jesus gets to the heart of the matter when he asks the man "Do you want to get well?" The man had depended on others for years and now has to decide if he really wants to get better.

(A) Application
It is so much easier to blame things on others, an addiction, being overweight, anger, poor job etc. rather than to do something about it. Jesus asks a probing question that demands some soul searching. What does it mean to get well? I will then be responsible - Can I accept that - can I get beyond blaming other things for my shortcomings or failures. Is it easier being the slave rather than free?
Today I choose to get well. To listen and obey. To get up and walk. To take responsibility.

(P)Prayer
Lord, I cannot get well without your healing. I cannot move forward without your presence. I cannot live free without your power and direction. Today I will listen and obey you. AMEN

No comments: