Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life Journal 08-13-2008 A Place I Never Want To Be

A Place I Never Want To Be

(S) Scripture

Jeremiah 15:1 (NIV)
1 Then the LORD said to me: "Even if Moses and Samuel were to stand before me, my heart would not go out to this people. Send them away from my presence! Let them go!

(O) Observation

The people of Israel have ignored and turned away from the Lord. It has gone on and on and now we come to this pronouncement - Even if Moses and Samuel were to stand before me, my heart would not go out to this people. What an awful place. How angry must God be to say that even Moses and Samuel could not influence Him.

(A) Application

On occasion I have found myself in places where I was lost. Some places were a little scary particularly when there is perceived (whether real or not) danger. It is an terrible feeling to be in a place where you are lost and scared. But even in those places as a Christian I am confident of God's presence, love and care. I never want to be in the place where God withdraws his protection and love for me. I am convinced that as His child He will never forsake me or remove my salvation but I can be far from His presence and left to my own devices. I never want to make the Lord that angry with me. I think the reading in John 15 holds the key to keeping me out of that place. As I abide in Jesus and keep his commands I experience His life in me and I sense His presence at all times.

Today I will practice spiritual breathing to be sure I am walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. I am keenly aware of how much I need God's presence and never want to be at a place where He is as frustrated with me as He was with the Israelites.

(P) Prayer

Lord, I love you and want to live for you. Help me to listen and obey. I want to experience your presence, power and protection. I commit myself again to you. Thank you for your patience with me when I try to live on my own terms. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment that God could not be influenced by neither Moses nor Samuel infers that there are times that God CAN be influenced. Perhaps you are thinking of the times that Abraham "influenced" the mind of God in regards to altering the number of God-followers in the land. ARe you inferring then that God's mind can be "influenced", i.e. changed? If so, does God's mind remain open? And if so, does this mean that humanity has the capacity of influencing and perhaps even controlling the decisions of God? Hmmm............The Old Bud returns! Who am I?

Robin Crouch said...

I thought the same thing about changing God's mind but this it is left open by the scripture passage. Why would Moses and Samuel be before God in this setting except to be interceding for the people?
It still is not a place where I ever want to be.

I don't have an idea who you are - you will need to be more forthcoming - but anonymity is a great asset when you do not want to be held accountable for your comments