Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life Journal 08-19-2008 - A 100 Freestyle

A 100 Freestyle

(S) Scripture

John 21:7-8 (NIV)
7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.
8 The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.

(O) Observation

Peter and John have gone back to what they know how to do – fish. When Jesus sees them they have fished all night and caught nothing. He calls out to them. They do not recognize Him at that distance. Jesus tells them to throw the net on the other side of the boat and they do and catch so many fish they cannot raise the net. John then recognizes that it is Jesus and tells Peter. Peter jumps into the water and heads to shore. When he reaches Jesus, Peter is restored and given a mission to fulfill.

(A) Application

Michael Phelps has just completed the greatest swimming performance in Olympic history. Eight Gold Medals in eight events and along the way setting seven world records. I was reminded how important swimming was to our family. Both daughters swam in High School and our oldest swam in college. Sarah swam the 50 and 100 freestyles. As a swim official I have seen countless 100 freestyles but none that would compare to the one Peter takes in this passage. He must have been somewhat distraught and embarrassed after his denials. But when he sees Jesus he must simply get to Him as fast as he can so over the side of the boat for that 100 yard freestyle.

I wonder if I am as quick to get to Jesus after I have denied him in some way. Do I immediately go to him or do I hide and avoid him. Too often I let my pride get in the way and I hide or avoid. Eventually I get to Jesus and confess and experience His forgiveness but why do I wait or hesitate. Today I will go immediately to Him. I will not let circumstances get in the way. If need be I will go over the side for my 100 yard freestyle.

(P) Prayer

Lord, I love you and know that you love me. I know that you want me to be in fellowship with you and not to ignore or avoid you. Remind me of this story when my pride is keeping me away. Help me to get out of the boat and begin to swim to you. Amen

No comments: