Thursday, August 28, 2008

Life Journal 08-28-2008 Just One Thing

Just One Thing

(S) Scripture
Revelation 2:2-4
2I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. 4Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love

(O) Observation
The Lord commends this church for all it is doing right. This is good at doing what it should but is not good at its relationship with the Lord. Things are done out of rote or duty but not out of love for God. The indictment is that they have left their first love and need to return. There is opportunity for renewal here when they are told what to do to restore their relationship of love.

(A) Application
Just doing the right things is not the measure of a persons love for the Lord. Many times we can be doing the right things but our hearts are far from God. We should not stop doing the right things but we do need to renew our love for God. We are to do what we did at first. Remember when we could not spend enough time in with the Lord. We read His word, we prayed, we talked about Him with our family and friends, we did all those things you do when you find real love. That is what the Lord wants us to do continually, to love Him.

Sometimes it is easy for me, a pastor, to get caught up in doing things rather than developing my relationship with the Lord. Today I will focus on renewing that love relationship knowing that it will motivate and empower me to do the right things.

(P) Prayer
Lord I want to do the right things for you but I want to love you more. Renew me today and know that I love you. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does the "first love" in this text refer to our relationship with God, our relationships with the body of Christ or both? Or might it be our relationship with God as evidenced and expressed by our relationships with those in the body of Christ? The old Bud

PS. Now to the real theological question....can we beat Wisconsin????