Friday, August 15, 2008

Life Journal 08-15-2008 The Real Lord's Prayer

The Real Lord's Prayer

(S) Scripture
After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. John 17:1 (NIV)

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, John 17:20 (NIV)

(O) Observation
For most of us when we think of the Lord's Prayer we think of the prayer in Matthew 6 that Jesus taught his disciples to pray. "Our Father ..." This passage though is the prayer Jesus prayed for his disciples and also for us.

In the time of His greatest agony Jesus prayed not just for himself but for us. He had us (vs.20) in mind. the depth of His love for us is seen in this prayer. His desire was for us to experience unity in Him and that our joy would be full.

(A) Application
I am so encouraged by this prayer. Jesus prayed for me and is specific in His desires for me. When I am at odds with my brothers and sisters, when there is disharmony and discord in the church then I know that we are not experiencing what Jesus has for us. Unity does not mean lockstep union but rather that we are one body not at war with ourselves but rather moving toward a common destination in the kingdom.

I think of the many times I write off or ignore or diss on those who disagree with me theologically or doctrinally and I am convicted of my sin. When I hinder unity I am not living out Jesus' prayer. I am not suggesting that we accept false teaching or unite with those who would do violence to the scripture. I am saying that Jesus calls for unity and that is greater than my narrow understanding of the Bible. I must be open to fellowship with those who see things differently.

Today I will seek to minimize the intensity of my differences and seek to experience the joy of unity with my brothers and sisters with whom I may disagree on certain issues.

(P) Prayer
Lord, sometimes I am so proud and arrogant that I neglect to seek the unity that you want fro me. Make me aware when I am hindering unity and help me to build up the unity of the Christian witness in our community. Teach me to love my sisters and brothers. AMEN

No comments: