Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Life Journal 08-06-2008 Useless Idols

Useless Idols

(S) Scripture

Habakkuk 2:18-20 (NIV)
18 "Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.
19 Woe to him who says to wood, 'Come to life!' Or to lifeless stone, 'Wake up!' Can it give guidance? It is covered with gold and silver; there is no breath in it.
20 But the LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him."

(O) Observation

What a great question. "Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it?" This is a reminder that all our idols are manmade and utterly useless. They might give us something tangible to hang on to but in reality cannot do anything for us. Habakkuk reminds us that they are lifeless and no matter how beautiful they are they are unable to help us. He then points us to the One who can help and tells us where to find Him and how to approach Him. "the LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him."

(A) Application

Too often I put my trust in things I have created or in my abilities or the abilities of others. I create idols both physical and non-physical that I trust in or worship. Anything that draws my attention away from God is a useless idol. Idols I worship can be things like possessions, relationships, my own abilities, etc. All these leave me empty because they are lifeless and useless for any real help. These are not necessarily wrong in themselves but when raised to a level that replaces God then they are harmful and detrimental to my spirit.

Today I will take a hard look to see if I have created any idols in my life and will tear them down. I will seek the Lord and be silent before Him. This silence is hard for me. My life is filled with noise from many sources and here I am told to be silent. It is so I can hear the voice of God. He will not shout over the other voices in my life. I must give my full attention to His voice and no other.

(P) Prayer

Lord let me hear a clear word from you today. I want to hear you so help me quiet the other noises and voices and listen intently to you. Amen

No comments: