Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Life Journal 08-20-2008 What a Wonderful Word

What a Wonderful Word

(S) Scripture

1 John 1:9 (NIV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

(O) Observation

John shows us here how to walk clean and forgiven before God. God in His wisdom has given us a way to walk clean before Him. It is not from ourselves but from Him. As His children we are forgiven. That comes by our faith in Jesus' death and resurrection. Sin blocks our fellowship with God. When we confess the haze of sin is cleansed and we experience forgiveness anew. Forgiven is a wonderful and so is cleansed or purified. To walk clean before God is to walk in His presence and in the power of the Holy Spirit.

(A) Application

Craig Baynham was a running back for the Dallas Cowboys in the late 60's. He commented on this verse, "I 'fess 'em as I does 'em." It was and continues to be an important lesson to me. I, too, must confess as I am aware of sin in my life. I want my life to reflect Christ and to do so I must practice this verse. I want to experience forgiveness and cleansing. How wonderful that when I confess my known sin He cleanses me from all unrighteousness. It certainly is a wonderful word and I want to experience it every day.

(P) Prayer

Lord hear my heart's desire and let me walk clean before you. Make me aware when I sin and remind me that I can experience forgiveness when I honestly confess. Thank you for making a way for me to walk with you. Amen

No comments: