Monday, August 11, 2008

Life Journal 8-11-2008 What Are You Thinking

What Are You Thinking

(S) Scripture

Jeremiah 7:9-11 (NIV)
9 "'Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known,
10 and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, "We are safe"--safe to do all these detestable things?
11 Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching! declares the LORD.

(O) Observation

How many times do we take forgiveness for granted? As if God is obligated to forgive us and we can live any way we please. In this passage the prophet asks the people how they can do the immoral things they are doing and then come to the house of God and think they are safe. What have you made this house? God is watching.


 

(A) Application

How often have I taken this same cavalier attitude toward sin? Taking God for granted and His forgiveness as something I deserve. How could I ever think that sin is something that God just kind of winks at? It was sin that sent his Son to the cross and I take it so lightly. Somehow I think that coming to church and asking forgiveness makes things all better. God requires more than that from me. Living like I choose in disregard to what He asks is disaster for me and shows that I don't really understand forgiveness at all. Today I will examine my life and recommit myself to living and walking by faith so that when I come to God's house I will not make it something it is not. I will live for Him and trust in His forgiveness, not because I deserve it but because as His child he offers it to me so that I can walk clean before Him.


 

(P) Prayer

Lord, thank you for your forgiveness of all me sin. Make me keenly aware when I take you and your forgiveness for granted. I want most of all to live for You. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haddon Robinson refers to the tendancy to take God's forgiveness for granted as "The aroma of God's grace, turned putrid!" Now, that will preach West Va. Bud!
An Old Bud