Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life Journal 8-12-2008 Love is a Verb

Love is a Verb

(S) Scripture

John 14:15 (NIV)
15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command.

John 14:23-24 (NIV)
23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

(O) Observation

Jesus says that love is demonstrated in our actions. It is something that we do. It is not just an emotion that we feel. When we love we are compelled to act.

(A) Application

A friend just returned from a mission trip to Okinawa. In preparation to preach there he was told that there was no word for "love as a feeling" in their language. Love is something that you show and do. You don't say it rather you do it. I don't tell my wife I love her, I show it by doing the dishes or running the vacuum. I show it by taking a walk with her. Love is more than words. This does not me that I never say it or tell her but there must be more. That is what Jesus is getting to here in this passage. In my relationship with Him my love needs to be demonstrated by my obedience and not just in the words I say.

Today I will focus on obeying God rather than just mouthing my love for Him. Today I will show my love by the way I live.

(P) Prayer

Lord, I love you and am thankful for my relationship with you. Today I want to show my love by the way I live. I need the strength of your Spirit to empower me to live as you intend. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back when our hair was darker and our waist lines thinner, Paul Tournier wrote a book, "Love is Something You Do!" Remember reading it? It's not something we feel, but something we do!
Your Old Bud Returns