Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Life Journal 08-05-2008 Renewal

Renewal
(S) Scripture
2 Kings 23:3 (NIV) 3 The king stood by the pillar and renewed the covenant in the presence of the LORD--to follow the LORD and keep his commands, regulations and decrees with all his heart and all his soul, thus confirming the words of the covenant written in this book. Then all the people pledged themselves to the covenant.

(O) Observation
The high priest has reported to Josiah that he has discovered the Book of the Law in the Temple. Josiah has the whole book read in the presence of the people. Josiah is so moved by what he heard that he renewed his commitment to the covenant and the people followed his example. After many years of evil kings and God's judgment Josiah renews his commitment to the Lord and God empowers him to do great things. Josiah's renewal led to radical actions - he removed all the shrines and altars to false gods in every part of his kingdom. His renewal was followed up by righteous living.

(A) Application
It is good to know that renewal is possible. Sometimes we get so caught up in our sinful selves that the word of God gets lost in all the clutter of our lives. I am so thankful that I can return to a forgiving God and He will allow me to renew my commitment to Him. He then empowers mew to remove those things that I have substituted for Him. He helps me rid those false gods and shrines from my life so that I might live solely for him. Today I will again renew my commitment to the Lord. I will make a conscious effort to remove those things that keep me from worshipping and following him. Today I will serve the Lord.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I commit my self anew to you. I ask your forgiveness for when I am distracted away from you. Help me today to rid my life of the things that hinder my walk with you. Give me the strength to follow you. Amen

No comments: