Monday, August 18, 2008

Life Journal 08-18-2008 He Knows My Name

He Knows My Name

(S) Scripture

John 20:10-16 (NIV)
10 Then the disciples went back to their homes,
11 but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb
12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.
13 They asked her, "Woman, why are you crying?" "They have taken my Lord away," she said, "and I don't know where they have put him."
14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.
15 "Woman," he said, "why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?" Thinking he was the gardener, she said, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him."
16 Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means Teacher).

(O) Observation

Mary did not understand that Jesus had risen from the dead but she did know He was not in the tomb and she wanted to find Him. In her search she did not recognize the angels or Jesus. Jesus spoke to her and she mistook Him for the gardener. It wasn't until Jesus called her by name that she recognized Him. What a great moment – Jesus called her by name and then she recognized Him.

(A) Application

It is a wonderful thought that Jesus knows my name and he calls out to me. Tommy Coombs put this thought into a song:

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in His hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And hears me when I call

Today I will rest and trust in the One Who "knows my name". I will live in the assurance of His presence and provision.

(P) Prayer

Lord, the thought that you know my name and call out to me is almost overwhelming. How is it that a Holy God would take the time to know mw and call out to me. I know it is because of your great love shown in your sacrifice on my behalf. I need your power to live life as you intended it to be lived. I want to recognize your voice and obey you when you call. Give me ears to hear and a heart to understand and a will to obey you. Amen

No comments: