Saturday, January 2, 2010

Life Journal 01-02-2010

A Baby Dedication

(S) Scripture
Luke 2:22-24 (New International Version)
 22When the time of their purification according to the Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23(as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord"), 24and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: "a pair of doves or two young pigeons."

(O) Observation
Here Luke describes how Mary and Joseph presented Jesus to the Lord in the temple. This is when they as his earthly parents consecrated Jesus to the Father.

(A) Application
While visiting family in West Virginia this past week I attended First Baptist in St. Albans, WV. The pastor preached on the last part of Luke 2. As he opened the Word to us I saw this passage in a new light. I have always used the passage in Samuel where Hannah presents Samuel to the Lord as the scripture lesson for Baby Dedications. Here though is another passage and maybe more powerful. Jesus' parents were doing all that the law required (vs.27) and was their custom. Think about that. Jesus' parents brought him to the temple and presented him to the Lord. Now that is an example to follow. In the future I will also use this passage. Child dedication is not just an Old Testament custom but we see it in the life of Jesus. My folks presented me to the Lord as a child not knowing where that would lead me but confident in God's grace. Becky and I presented both of our daughters to the Lord, again not knowing where that would lead them but confident in God's faithfulness and grace. Dedication yourself and your child to the Lord is a priceless gift that bears great rewards in all your lives.

(P) Prayer
Lord thank you for parents that loved you and me enough to dedicate me to you. Thank you for your faithfulness in my life and in the life of my daughters. I pray that every parent at First Baptist Charlotte would take seriously this act of obedience and present themselves and their children to you. Amen

No comments: