Sunday, January 3, 2010

Life Journal 01-03-2010

Radical Obedience

(S) Scripture
Noah did everything just as God commanded him. (Genesis 6:22 NIV)

(O) Observation
As the story of Noah is told one thing stands out. Noah was radically obedient to the voice of God. When you think that it had never rained before and Noah was being asked to build an ark because the world was going to be flooded, he had no frame of reference except his trust in God.

(A) Application
It is that kind of obedience I want to cultivate in my life. Many times I have felt impressed to do something and then hesitated or talked myself out of it because I didn't understand or thought it didn't make sense. I wonder what I have missed or how many people have missed a blessing from God because of my hesitation to be obedient. I want this radical obedience that acts when prompted by God, knowing that where He leads he also provides. How often do we miss what God has for us because we rationalize ourselves into the safe thing rather than what we sense we are being prompted to do. A friend of mine shared that early one morning last week he was awakened with the thought that he should get up and pray for a particular need. He told me he asked God if this could wait until a more reasonable hour, after all he needed his rest. After the bargaining he got up and prayed. That afternoon he received word that the serious need had been met. Coincidence, I don't think so. It was a lesson he won't forget. God does not always give us what we pray for but he always gives us grace for the moment. I want to obey without the complaining or bargaining. I want to live out radical obedience.

(P) Prayer
Father, let me hear you clearly and then obey without hesitation. Amen

No comments: