Sunday, January 31, 2010

Life Journal 01-31-2010

Sometimes People Don't Want to Hear

(S) Scripture
Acts 7:54-55 (NIV)
54 When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him.
55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

(O) Observation
Stephen just finished preaching about Jesus being the fulfillment of God's promise to Israel. He gave a quick history of God's provision for Israel and brings this together in Jesus. The people were so angry with what was said that they stoned him to death. Someone has said the "rocked him to sleep." I cannot recall another time where the scripture says that Jesus was standing at God's right hand. I think he stood to honor Stephen.

(A) Application
As I prepare the messages each week I am reminded of a question My mom often asks me. "Robin, is your sermon prepared? Remember the people want to hear from the Lord and so you had better be sure that your message is from God and not just you speaking." My task as preacher is to do just that, deliver the messages God has for the day not just some well delivered speech. It is God's word that is powerful. The question is, "Would I deliver that word in the face of death?" It is my desire today to be so fully devoted to the Lord that even the threat of death would not deter my speaking the word he puts on my heart.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me be so in tune with you that the messages I preach are your word for the people of First Baptist Charlotte. Amen

No comments: