Thursday, January 7, 2010

Life Journal 01-07-2010

The Peril of Self Righteousness

(S) Scripture
Luke 7:40-43 (NIV)
40 Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said.
41 "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
43 Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

Luke 7:47 (NIV)
47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

(O) Observation
Jesus is having dinner with Simon, a Pharisee, when a woman with a jaded past begins to anoint Jesus' feet and wipe them with her tears. Simon questions why Jesus would allow this behavior and why he would have anything to do with this woman. Jesus then teaches a great lesson about love and gratitude. Jesus says the one forgiven much loves much and the one forgiven little loves little. I wonder which category Simon placed himself in that day?

(A) Application
I know many self righteous people. I am not talking about obnoxious or being "holier-than-thou" but people who think they are pretty good people and don't have much in their lives that needs forgiving. This self righteousness (a righteousness of their own making) prevents them from experiencing the fullness of God's forgiveness and love. Their relationship with the Lord is somewhat cavalier because they don't see that God has done that much for them. In the story the woman loves much because her sins were many. By contrast, Simon had left undone many common courtesies a host offered his guests. Did Simon feel he was equal to Jesus, was he so familiar with Jesus that he no longer saw Jesus as Lord? Did Simon love Jesus a little because he felt righteous in himself?

I am confident that if God revealed my utter sinfulness to me all at once it would crush me. That is why day by day I want to give him more and more of myself and He reveals areas that have not yet been given to Him. My love for Jesus grows as I trust him with more and more of my life. The love I share with my wife is a picture of what I am saying here. When I married Becky I loved her with all my heart. 32 years later I am amazed at how little I loved her then as compared to today. All my heart then does not seem as much as all my heart today. As I give my life to Jesus each day my love grows deeper and bigger. Today I want my love for Jesus to grow because I recognize how much he loves me in that he forgives me.

(P) Prayer
Lord for your forgiveness in my life I thank and praise you. Let my love for you grow deeper and bigger each day. Let me walk in the power of your love and forgiveness. Amen

No comments: