Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Life Journal 01-26-2010

Jumping To Worst Case Scenario

(S) Scripture
Exodus 14:10-12 (NIV)
10 As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and there were the Egyptians, marching after them. They were terrified and cried out to the LORD.
11 They said to Moses, "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt?
12 Didn't we say to you in Egypt, 'Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians'? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!"

(O) Observation
At the first sign of trouble the Israelites immediately assume the worst. They jump to the worst case scenario. Rather than to trust God they turn on Moses with all kinds of accusations about why they are in the desert. The Israelites look to their circumstances rather than to their God.

(A) Application
Sometimes in the face of difficult times my mind goes to the worst case first rather than trusting God's leading in my life. Rather than avoiding difficult times by any measure I should focus on being in the center of God's will for my life. The safest place for me is in the center of God's will not just some place that seems safe from the circumstances around me. An article in Leadership titled "Beyond Prayer Requests", makes the point that sometimes in our prayers we ask God to do what he says he will not do. We ask God to override our children's free will. We pray, "Don't let my child become an addict." Our prayer should be, "Lord make yourself so real to my child that they will want to follow you in the choices they make." "Lord keep me safe." Lord, let me live in the center of your will wherever that may be." Rather than assuming the worst today I want to first trust God and look for his provision for me. Today I want to live in the center of His will.

(P) Prayer
Father, I want to live today in the center of your will for me. Help me to trust you regardless of the circumstances I find myself in today. Rather than jumping to the worst case let me jump to faith and trust in You. Amen

No comments: