Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Life Journal 01-20-2010

Humility vs. Arrogance

(S) Scripture
Luke 20:45-47 45While all the people were listening, Jesus said to his disciples, 46"Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely."

(O) Observation
Jesus warns his disciples against acting like the teachers of the law. They were arrogant and expected to be treated in special ways as important and powerful individuals. They were impressed with their own importance and showed it in their lengthy prayers. Jesus says their punishment will be great and severe.

(A) Application
Why is it that many preachers expect to be treated in special ways. I think it is because they have determined that their call to pastoral ministry is more significant than any other call of God and should be recognized as such. Too often I see preachers arranging for and taking the places of honor. How often do we joke about preachers asking for discounts? My Uncle Jim, a pastor, used to joke that once he asked for a discount once by saying, "Can't you help me out here, I am just a poor preacher," to which the clerk answered, "I know I heard you Sunday." Today I am reminded that humility is the character God wants in those that serve Him. Today I will check my ego and seek to be the person and pastor God has called and expects me to be.

(P) Prayer
Lord make me aware when I get a haughty spirit. Teach me to trust in you and you alone. Let me reflect Jesus in my life today. Amen

No comments: