Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Life Journal 01-13-2010

The Fear of Isaac

(S) Scripture
From Genesis 30
42 If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you."

53 May the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us."
      So Jacob took an oath in the name of the Fear of his father Isaac

(O) Observation
In this narrative about Jacob leaving Laban we find this interesting reference to God, "the Fear of Isaac." This tells a great deal about what Isaac taught his sons about his view of God. There is a reverence and respect for God's power, protection and provision. It was so ingrained in Jacob that he refers to God not as the "God of Abraham and Isaac" but rather as the "God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac."

(A) Application
We talk about the "fear of God" but I am not sure I have ever thought of referring to God as "the Fear". Have I so robbed God of his power that I no longer fear him? Do I believe that God will exercise his wrath on those who have not trusted His Son? Jacob's reference to God as "the Fear of Isaac" has really caused me to think today. I want to have a healthy and honest fear of God. I want to reverence and respect God's power, protection and provision.

(P) Prayer
Father I do not want to be afraid to come to you but I do want to reverence and respect you. Help me to develop that kind of fear that causes me to follow you more closely and motivates me to make a difference in people's lives for your sake. Amen

No comments: