Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Life Journal 01-05-2010

The Right People

(S) Scripture
Luke 5:10-11 (NIV)
10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men."
11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

Luke 5:27-28 (NIV)
27 After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. "Follow me," Jesus said to him,
28 and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.

(O) Observation
Luke describes the calling of the first disciples. Jesus chose common men to be his disciples. He did not choose perfect or even righteous men but he saw in them the character and qualities needed to do the task he would leave them with. It is interesting that the disciples left what they were doing and immediately followed Jesus. This following of Jesus changed and transformed their lives.

(A) Application
If Jesus didn't think it necessary to choose perfect people to be his disciples why do we put such a premium on perfection? Why do we think that our lives need to be perfect for God to use us? God chose common flawed men to follow him and ultimately to change the world. Jesus used their flaws to show God's power. I am so glad that God does not require perfection in order to be a follower, if he did I would be out. I am thankful that he chose me and that by faith in His Son my imperfections and flaws and weaknesses are forgiven and the Holy Spirit strengthens my life. As I look for leaders I need to practice what Jesus did and look not for righteous perfection but rather for the character and qualities that when given to God will bring honor and glory to God.

(P) Prayer
Lord, for your grace I give you thanks. Let me be as gracious in my dealings with others. Help me to see in others the character and qualities you see and to develop them into faithful followers of Jesus. Thank you for your calling in my life. I want to honor you today. Amen

No comments: