Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life Journal 01-27-2010

Healthy Fear

(S) Scripture
Exodus 20:20 (NIV)
20 Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."

(O) Observation
The Israelites have arrived at the foot of Mt. Sinai and God calls Moses up the mountain to speak to him. God is going to let the people know that he is speaking to and through Moses. God gives careful instructions to Moses about how the people are to prepare themselves and what restrictions there will be on their movement up the mountain. Moses and the people comply. As we come to the end of this encounter we find the people in fear of God and wanting Moses to speak because they fear death if they hear God speak. It is at this time that Moses shares the purpose of this fear of God – It is to keep them from sinning.

(A) Application
It seems to me that we in the church have effectively neutered God of his awesome power by emphasizing his love and ignoring his wrath. We give people the impression that God is like a doting grandfather who overlooks or excuses sin and only expresses his love for his grandchildren. People no longer fear God's wrath but rather take for granted his love. We take advantage of God's love. How frightful is that? If we understood God's wrath and hatred of sin would we still willfully sin? Would we sin and then flippantly tell God to forgive us? I don't think so. Today I want to be so aware of God's full character that I will have a healthy fear of Him and live accordingly. I do not want to abuse or take God's love and grace for granted. I want to live as he would have me live.

(P) Prayer
Lord when I take you for granted or attempt to abuse your love, remind me of your wrath. Let me develop a healthy fear of You that keeps me from sin and moves me on to a life of faith. Let me walk in the power of your Holy Spirit today. Amen

No comments: