Friday, January 22, 2010

Life Journal 01-22-2010

Holy Ground

(S) Scripture
Exodus 3:5 (NIV)
5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground."

(O) Observation
When Moses see the burning bush and approaches it he encounters God. God speaks and commands Moses to take off his sandals because he is standing on Holy Ground. The place where Moses met with God was a holy place and Moses needed to recognize that place as holy. Moses heard from God in that holy place and it set the course of his life.

(A) Application
If I really believed that the place where I encounter God was holy ground, would it change the way I respond? I wonder how often I have treated holy ground as common ground. On common ground I am equal with those I encounter. On holy ground I am not. When I treat the holy as common I miss or can dismiss what God says because it is common. When I recognize that I am on Holy Ground then I must shut-up and listen and then obey. There is to be no argument or compromise just obedience. Moses wanted to argue or negotiate and later in the text it says that "God's anger burned against Moses". I want to avoid that is I can. Too often I have treated this "devotion time" or "quiet time" as something common. Today I see it differently. This is where I meet with God and ask Him to speak to me. This is Holy Ground and I need to begin to treat it as such.

(P) Prayer
Lord, help me to always recognize that when I meet with you and listen for your voice, that place is holy ground. It is my desire to treat it as such. Discipline me when my pride kicks in and I treat you as common. Amen

No comments: