Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Life Journal 01-12-2010

A Great Gift

(S) Scripture
Genesis 29:20 (NIV)
20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

(O) Observation
Jacob's love for Rachel made the work and days fly by. This is a story of betrayal by his father-in-law and yet a great love story too. The love he shared with Rachel overcame many obstacles.

(A) Application
When I read this verse I was struck with the thought of how blessed I am. I have often said that next to my salvation the greatest gift in my life is my wife and daughters. God blessed me beyond anything I deserved when He brought Becky and me together. Looking back over 32 years now I understand just what Jacob felt. It is a funny thing because it seems like yesterday that we were getting married and yet I find it hard to remember not being married. The love we share has grown over these years and I cannot imagine having spent these years with anyone else. Today I am reminded of what a gift from God my wife is. She has partnered with me in ministry, given birth to our daughters, and loved me beyond what I deserve. She is gone to a music conference in Hilton Head, SC, this week and I jokingly say it is a vacation for both of us but in truth I miss having her by my side. I am a better man, father, husband and pastor because of her. Today I rejoice in The gift of my wife.

(P) Prayer
Father, thank you for bringing Becky and me together. You knew just who I needed to help me become the person you want me to be. I praise you and honor her today. Amen

No comments: