Saturday, January 16, 2010

Life Journal 01-16-2010

Self Justification

(S) Scripture
Luke 16:14-15 (NIV)
14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.
15 He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.

(O) Observation
Jesus is teaching in parables and here addresses the greed of the Pharisees directly. You can justify yourself all you want but God knows your heart. You cannot fool God.

(A) Application
We justify all kinds of bad behavior with our friends and somehow think that God accepts our justification too. This week at a prayer breakfast one of the men shared about a man he met who had been successful but ended up homeless. He told of going to churches and people saying, "I'll pray for you," but they did nothing to help. The idea was when God moves you don't just pray but act too. Right after one man started passing "the hat" for the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. $155 dollars was given that morning. I wonder how often I rationalize or justify not doing something because it is inconvenient or hard or something else when in reality it is just selfish. Today I want to value what God values and to have a clean heart before Him.

(P) Prayer
Lord, cleanse me and help me to value what you value. Help me act immediately when you prompt me to act. Amen

No comments: