Friday, January 2, 2009

Life Journal 01-02-2009

God's Gracious Warning

(S) Scripture
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." Genesis 4:7 (NIV)

(O) Observation
God is speaking to Cain about his offering and worship. God was displeased with Cain's offering. Abel had brought the best part of his flock and Cain had brought some grain. Cain was jealous of his brother. God knew what the evil in Cain's heart and so in an attempt to give Cain an alternative to the murder he was planning, God gave him this warning. It is a good warning for us today. God has always worked to give us the choice to do what pleases Him and not what brings his judgment. He offers us opportunities to escape the grip of sin but we must make the choice to master sin's control in our lives rather than to be mastered by it.

(A) Application
As I begin a new year I do so loke so many others, making resolutions about how things will be better or some things brought under control. For me is is consistent exerise and the need too lose some weight. This scripture lays out the choices in plain easy to understand words. When you do what is right you are accepted and free from the guilt of sin. When you do not then you are a slave to sin and constantly battling the guilt sin brings. The solution give is to master the sin that only desires to enslave you. Today I will begin anew the disciplines I need to get some these things under control. I want this to be the beginning of a long journey rather than a short lived resolution like so many others.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I am so prone to put things off or make excuses for not doing what I should. Forgive me and let me experience your power to accomplish these things. I cannot do this on my own, I need your help. Thank you for the promise of your presence and power. Let me live fully in it today. Amen

No comments: