Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life Journal 01-07-2009

A Common Problem

(S) Scripture
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. Luke 7:47 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is having dinner at a religious leader's home. None of the common courtesies have been done for Jesus, washing feet, anointing with oil. A sinful woman comes and wipes his feet with her tears and hair and pours an expensive perfume on his feet. The religious people are indignant and appalled. Jesus explains that, "he that is forgiven much loves much and he that is forgiven little loves little." A person's love for Jesus is based on their understanding of how much they have been forgiven.

(A) Application
One thing we strive to do in the church I serve is to get people to love Jesus more. From this passage it would seem that the problem is that people don't really believe they have needed to be forgiven of much. Our problem is that we think we are pretty good people and God should be pleased that we are on his team. We have such a perverted view of our own sin, thinking that we don't have many. IF we really understood how utterly sinful we are it would change how we see and love God. Today I want to acknowledge my sinfulness and my forgiveness in Christ. I do not want to gloss over my sin or excuse it I want to experience God's forgiveness for it. When I understand how much I have been forgiven I will express a much deeper love to God.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for forgiving me of all my sin. Thank you for not crushing me with the totality of my sinfulness. I want to love you deeply because I have been forgiven much. Teach me to love you more as I understand how far your forgiveness extends in my life. Teach me to love other too. Amen

No comments: