Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Life Journal 01-28-2009

A Political Word

(S) Scripture
"You shall not curse God, nor curse a ruler of your people.
Exodus 22:28 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
In this long list of laws (property and theft and murder, accidental killing, etc.) Moses comes to this simple but timely command. We are not to curse God or the ruler of the people.

(A) Application
I am not to curse God or the ruler of the people. What does it mean to "curse God"? I think the obvious is meant when I live in defiance of God. I wonder if it does not mean when I attribute things to God that He has no part in. So often we say "God told me …" when it wasn't God at all. This part of the verse I work on every day to be sure that my heart is in a right relationship with the Lord.

The second part of the verse spoke to me today. I did not vote for President Obama. I find myself at odds with his position on some moral issues and also some governing policy. I was appalled at what some "Christian" groups did during the campaign in working against his election. I am not against opposition or promoting the candidate of your choice. I am against the negative smearing and distortion of a person, their record and background. Today Mr. Obama is our president, elected by the people to lead. I am obligated to voice opposition to those policies that I believe are morally and Biblically wrong but I am to respect and give honor to the President. There is no place for cursing him or wishing ill on him. I must pray for him and pray that God will be so real to him that he will be drawn into a deeper and deeper walk with Jesus. I must pray that He leads in a God honoring way. If I am to be obedient to the Lord this is what I must do.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for working in my life. Today I pray for President Obama. I pray that you would make yourself so real to him that he would be drawn to you and that his decisions would be guided by his faith in you. Help me to be respectful and truthful and full of grace in all I say when I disagree. Amen

No comments: