Sunday, January 11, 2009

Life Journal 01-11-2009

Being Blessed

(S) Scripture
As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you."
He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."
Luke 11:27-28 (NIV)

(O) Observation
While Jesus is teaching a woman cries our blessing Jesus' mother. Jesus replies by telling who is really blessed by God.

(A) Application
My catholic friends may want to look at this as a justification for their worship of Mary but Jesus turns this toward all of us. God's blessing goes to those who hear and obey God's word. This is not about Jesus' mother but is about me. If I want God's blessing in my life I must hear and obey His word. God has spoken to us through the Bible. To hear God's word I must read it. That is why this devotional time is so important. To read and then ask myself, "How will I be different because of what I have just read (heard)?" As I read the Word I can hear God speak to me. I must then apply the word to my life. I must obey. That is where it is difficult – It is easy to know what to do it is tough to do it consistently.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I want to follow you fully and yet I find myself not doing what you ask. Forgive me and empower me to live by faith filled with the Holy Spirit. I want my life to count for you. Use me today. Amen

No comments: